Thursday, July 23, 2009

Eating with Hedge...

can be an interesting experience. I am a vegetarian -- or a pescetarian, if you want to get technical. If there are folks in the room who speak kosher, I eat dairy and pareve foods. (Pareve foods are "neutral"-- meaning not meat or dairy. This includes vegetables, fruit, beans, eggs, fish, etc.)

My diet is pretty low in fat, typically. I eat a lot of oatmeal and fruit, chickpeas and other beans, veggies with tofu, lox and cream cheese on whole wheat bread, low fat string cheese, nonfat yogurt, soymilk, etc.

So, one of the things I'm working on is getting more good fats in my diet. Avocados, olives, walnuts: these are the foods I'm looking to get more of on a daily basis.

Summer means that the avocados are plentiful and cheap, and though I love guacamole, I'm always looking for something to do with these awesome heart-boosting fruits.

Here's a recent favorite:


Faux bacon avocado garlic toast

Ingredients:
1 slice Brownberry Double Fiber bread
1 slice reduced fat swiss cheese
garlic powder to taste
1/2 small avocado
2 slices Morningstar bacon

How to make it:
1. Place cheese on bread, sprinkle with garlic, and heat in toaster oven.
2. Prepare the Morningstar bacon as directed on the package. (I use the microwave.)
3. Slice the avocado, place slices on cheese toast.
4. Halve the bacon slices, place on top of avocado.
5. Eat! And feel your heart getting healthier.


According to Sparkpeople.com, this sandwich has 354 calories, 30 carbohydrates, 15 grams of protein, 12 grams of fiber, and 23 grams of heart-healthy fat. Add a piece of fruit and some orange pepper slices, and you've got yourself a balanced meal to end off a low-fat food day!


What do you do with avocados? (Please share-- I've still got two in the fridge!)

No comments:

Post a Comment